Merdeka thoughts.

Yes. I know merdeka's over. Pardon my malaysian timing okay.

To sum this year's festivities: Fifty one years and no one is in the mood to celebrate. No big parties. No fireworks until 2 am. No people dressing up their kids in the colors of the national flag thinking it is the cute. Damn, there arent even people attempting to break some random record in our malaysian book of record in the name of patriotic kiasuness.

Unless you count the government la, I think they have broken some records this year. No need for me to elaborate la sendiri pandai-pandai guess can?

From what I see this year, its sad to say that mat rempits are the only ones who seem to be in the festive mood. And that is only because they can show off their "skills" to the minah minahrempits. Big jalur gemilang draped on the back like superman cape and hollering "merrdeeka" loudly into the night sky. 'Celebrating merdeka' is a very convenient excuse to the policeman see?

But you know what, I'd rather have things to be this way than to have hypocritical people gushing about how much they love their country when obviously everyone knows that our country is not wading through calm waters. Denial with the capital d.

And despite all the talk about being multi racial, we are all racists. Sorry, the color of your skin can easily dictate alot of important issues, like the people we mix with and the places you will study/work. The times when I tick the little box at the immigration/ic dept/passport dept that says "chinese" only to have people throw incredulous looks at my photo and then at me when they looked at where I have ticked. Dont be stupid and ask me if I have made a mistake, or tell me how surprised you are cause I look like some other race. Does it matter so much what race I am? I am local!

things I have been assumed before: malay-chinese, thai-chinese, chindian, malay, thai, portugese. sabahan/sarawakian (aborigine woman wtf)

But really, all this added up is not even half as annoying as turning on the tv and listening to all the anak celups with their british accent and american degrees telling us local kids to celebrate merdeka patriotically. They have even tried to brainwash us with tunes!!

=.=''

I am not trying very hard to be unpleased about the situation our bolehland is in now. Neither am I trying to prove to everyone that I do not have a cauliflower for a brain. But let me tell you, sometimes I think there are so many things that are so wrong I dont even know where to start.

Last year I wished for longer strings. This year I wish for stability. Economically and politically.

Happy belated merdeka people.

Labels: ,