Thinking out of the box?
Is it worth it? Lets just be sheep!

With IHRM test coming up on this Saturday, the words of our chinese tutor of several weeks, Mr Gopal seem to keep ringing in my ear 'think out of the box people!'. Yeah, I remember he was so caught up in his goal to make us 'think' instead of memorizing he spent the whole lesson trying to get some input from us. But to no avail.

Which leads me to think. He isnt the only lecturer which told us to think outside the box. Our Organizational Behaviour lecturer, Ms Geh told us that as well along with our IHRM lecturer, Ms Chin.

Thinking outside the box? Seriously, is it WORTH the trouble?

Suffice to say, have you ever come to a crushing realisation that keywords are VERY VERY important? Ever had the experience of writing a beautiful essay long answer for Sejarah? Only to feel really stupid when you saw your friend's paper. The bugger who wrote several lines full of keywords ended up getting everything correct, while you, the one who actually DID think, got less then them?

So much for thinking.

It has become our culture to thinking within the box. We were TRAINED to memorize our answers. Kata kuncis have become our best friends. I have a friend who just memorizes without understanding the full content of what is taught. Each time the leturer teaches something new which she dont understand, she'll tell me "gotta memorize this!"

The scariest part of it all is that she memorizes ACCOUNTING. -.-''

Lets face it, I dont blame her. I remember in primary school, we were forced to memorize an essay daily, much to our distain. Yet,we followed as ordered. So suffice to say, my essays in primary school were.. umm.. dry and probably similar in content with other hundreds of kids who had been forced to memorize the same essay.

Anyway, the main point is I passed right?
In fact, I passed quite prettily. So who am I to complain?

Welcome mediocre thinking and goodbye creativity.
Our education system is producing more sheep than New Zealand.

Anyhow, I think I shall go back to studying Intro to Human Resource (IHRM) and be a sheep again now.

Ciao.

Labels: